[c-nsp] sup2T software & release notes have hit

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jul 13 04:45:43 EDT 2011

On 07/12/2011 03:34 PM, Mark Tinka wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 12, 2011 02:29:25 PM Alan Buxey wrote:
>
>> Use the sfp+ adapter?
>
> I saw that too.
>
> My point is I'm guessing the card could be cheaper (and
> faster) if smaller sockets were used.
>
> Also, XFP would give us better distance as of now, but sure,
> SFP+ will eventually catch up.
>
> I just think any sensible vendor should be using XFP as a
> minimum for 10Gbps optics; not X2 or XENPAK.

Cisco seem to have a real blindspot for 10G transceivers.

The explanation "back in the day" was that Cisco had a lot of customers
wanting to run 10gig over old multimode fibre, and thus needed the LX4
transceiver which required a physically bigger housing to fit all the
bits into. I wonder if that's still their reasoning for X2?