[c-nsp] Maximum number of VRF-Lite instances in ISR G2 routers

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Jul 13 05:09:51 EDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-07-13 at 11:58 +0300, John Kougoulos wrote:
> If I remember correctly another limitation that affects the number of VRFs
> is the number of software IDBs that are available in each platform.
>
> "show idb" will show how many are available, and how they are used.

I actually suspected that, but "show idb" didn't change when just
creating VRFs. I therefore think the IDB is only involved in how many
logical interfaces you can have, though I'm not sure.

>From my test-box, with 200 VRFs created:

 Router#show idb

 Maximum number of Software IDBs 1200.  In use 6.

                        HWIDBs     SWIDBs
 Active                      2          2
 Inactive                    2          4
 Total IDBs                  4          6
 Size each (bytes)        2888       1432
 Total bytes             11552       8592

 Type SIdx Idx  St,O,Sh Interface Name (subblocks)
 H     1     2   U,U,R  FastEthernet0/0 (HW SB CDP(5), MAC ADDR(3),
                                          MTU MIN MAX(2), Ether(1))
 H     2     3   U,U,R  FastEthernet0/1 (HW IP ACCESS(7), DOT1Q(6),
                                          HW SB CDP(5), MAC ADDR(3),
                                          MTU MIN MAX(2), Ether(1))

 S     1     2   U      FastEthernet0/0 (Ether-OAM(9), SW CDP(8),
                                          ARP IDB Subblock(7), Dynamic
                                          DNS Updates(6), NetBIOS(5),
                                          Ether-OAM-PD(2), KEEPALIVE(1))
 S     2     3   U      FastEthernet0/1 (ARP IDB Subblock(7), Dynamic
                                          DNS Updates(6), ACL(11),
                                          Ether-OAM(9), SW CDP(8),
                                          NetBIOS(5), Ether-OAM-PD(2),
                                          KEEPALIVE(1))

 Key: SIdx=Sort Index, Idx=hw_if_index or if_number
      St=Current State, O=Old State, Sh=Shadow State
      A=Admindown, D=Down, G=Going Down, I=Init
      R=Reset, T=Testing, U=Up, X=Deleted

 Router#

It has two deleted dot1q subinterfaces on one of the physical interfaces
at this time according to "show ip interface brief".

--
Peter