[c-nsp] Cat4500 High CPU with Multicast Stream

Antonio Soares amsoares at netcabo.pt
Wed Jul 13 09:11:02 EDT 2011

The TTL=1, they use VLC and this is the default TTL value.

We found in the meanwhile that if the stream is sent to 239.x.x.x, there is
no impact on the 4500's cpu.

If the stream destination is somewhere in the 224.x.x.x range, the cpu goes
to the maximum. The packets are processed by the cpu.

I understand the 4500 is listening to the 224.0.0.0/24 address space, so
this must the reason we have this behavior.

We don't have IP Multicast enabled. I'm thinking about enabling IP Multicast
and only accept the 239 range.

Any comments ?

Regards,

Antonio Soares, CCIE #18473 (R&S/SP)