[c-nsp] sup2T software & release notes have hit

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Jul 13 10:56:31 EDT 2011

On Wednesday, July 13, 2011 07:20:15 PM Nick Hilliard wrote:

> Maybe some cisco designers just like X2?  Maybe Cisco
> have lots of experience with X2 and the architectural
> move to XFI interfaces would mean board redesigns?
> Difficult to tell really.  I have to say that as a
> customer, I view X2 as a serious barrier to buying
> certain types of cisco kit, and am frankly astounded
> that they are still pushing out new board designs which
> use this format.  Bizarre.

Interestingly, our ASR9010's ship with and use XFP's for
multi-mode just fine:

#sh controllers TenGigE0/0/0/0
Wed Jul 13 22:49:35.019 MYT
Operational data for interface TenGigE0/0/0/0:
<snip>

Phy:
    Media type: R fiber over 850nm optics
    Optics:
        Vendor: CISCO-FINISAR
        Part number: FTLX8511D3-CS
        Serial number: FNS14510S11

<snip>

#

Works like a charm.

Why the 6500 is still encumbered with X2 or XENPAK is beyond
me.

I think this just reinforces how Cisco really have no
harmony for some of these tiny but important details. When
it comes to optical modules or interfaces, every BU seems to
play their own game.

Even the Nexus 7000 BU seem to have embraced SFP+, but they
do still have some X2 line cards as well.

Juniper have this one locked down. I never have to wonder
whether an optical module on any Juniper router will work on
any Juniper switch, even though the different platforms may
have different product names for the same optical module. It
just works.

Mark.