[c-nsp] Question about VLAN Trunks

Chris Knipe savage at savage.za.org
Wed Jul 20 07:44:39 EDT 2011

Hi All,

I have a good couple of 10/100 ports configured for non-Cisco VoIP and
during troubleshooting an issue yesterday, I noticed that our VLAN
trunks are not behaving as I expected.  All my ports are configured as
follows:

interface FastEthernet8/5
 logging event link-status
 logging event spanning-tree status
 logging event bundle-status
 logging event trunk-status
 load-interval 30
 keepalive 30
 mls qos trust cos
 switchport
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk native vlan 105
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 104,105
 switchport mode trunk
 switchport nonegotiate
 switchport voice vlan 104
 power inline never
 storm-control broadcast level 85.00
 no cdp enable
 spanning-tree bpduguard enable
 spanning-tree link-type point-to-point

When connecting a PC directly to the port and doing some tcpdumps, I
see traffic on the trunk port that falls outside of VLAN104 and 105...
Shouldn't the switchport allowed vlan only allow vlan 104 and 105 to
pass via the port?

These are on Cisco 6500's with SUP II and MSFC II, IOS
c6sup22-jk2sv-mz.121-26.E6

--

Regards,
Chris Knipe