[c-nsp] Number of route reflectors, best practice?

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Jul 20 11:34:09 EDT 2011

We've started acting like grown-ups and have (almost) implemented
seperate route-reflectors. The old setup was a mix of full mesh (6
devices) and RR clients (a few dozens) hanging off 3 of the full mesh
devices.

I'm now contemplating what the "right" number of RRs are. We have three
main "datacenters" and a dozen PoPs. So far we were planning on having
two RRs, but I'm wondering if three isn't a better number.

Can anyone think of a reason to not have three RRs? Processing power
required would still be less than a full mesh configuration, so that's
somewhat irrelevant.

I have heard a vague comment about an odd numbers of RRs being a
problem, but I can't figure out why that would be.

--
Peter