[c-nsp] Number of route reflectors, best practice?

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Thu Jul 21 02:56:13 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 08:56 +1200, Pshem Kowalczyk wrote:
> I can't see any reasons why 3 RRs would be any different to 2 RRs (I
> assume that you'd peer all of your PEs to all 3 RRs),

I was thinking extra redundancy. If the two RRs suddenly both were to
crash/malfunction or somehow disconnect from the network at the same
time, they would take down the whole network with them.

Is there another/better way of addressing this problem than adding extra
redundancy?

> except for the
> fact that each PE has to process the same prefix from 3 different
> sources. If you have VRFs with singnificant number of prefixes and
> relatively underpowered PEs somewhere - that might slow convergence a
> bit and potentially add to memory consumption.

We have a very small routing table at the moment (~10k prefixes, largest
VRF has ~2k, no Internet), and I'd gladly sacrifice some convergence
time for extra stability.

--
Peter