[c-nsp] Number of route reflectors, best practice?

Mack McBride mack.mcbride at viawest.com
Fri Jul 22 01:33:37 EDT 2011

The N squared problem dictates that centralized route reflectors (or confederations)
become a necessity at some point.  Based on the information provided 6 full mesh devices
seems fairly good.  Even 9 full mesh devices is not too bad.  We currently run 14 cores
in one of our backbones with a similar configuration (7600 cores as reflectors) and we do
occasionally see CPU load issues (RSP720s).  However we are running multiple borders with full table
peers at a number of sites.  We are planning on adding another layer of route
reflection (ASR1K) as we integrate our islands. Running much higher than 20 route reflectors
(with wimpy processors) in a layer just seems to be asking for trouble.

Mack