[c-nsp] what is the meaning of WS-X6816?!!

Matyas Koszik koszik at atw.hu
Fri Jul 22 09:52:32 EDT 2011

Hello Osama,

Since you don't want to search google nor cisco, I will not do that
either, so you have to accept my answer which comes from my Mental
Database.

64xx cards connect to the bus of the device and use central forwarding only.
65xx cards connect to the bus and also have a 8G fabric connection, and some of them are upgradeable with DFCs.
67xx cards have only fabric connections (1x20G on the 6724, and 2x20G on the others), all have the option for a DFC and some even require it (6708/6716).
6816 is a one-of-a-kind card, with 2x8G fabric connections and a mandatory DFC.
69xx cards are compatible only with the higher bandwidth -E chassis and the new sup2t, have 2x40G fabric connections and require DFCs.

There're also 61xx, 62xx and 63xx cards, which are pretty much the same as
the 64xx cards (no fabric, no dfc option). Honestly I have no idea how
they are categorized, but most (if not all) of the 62xx and 63xx ones are
already gone, only a few 61xx cards are not EO*.