[c-nsp] sup2T software & release notes have hit

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Jul 23 13:54:42 EDT 2011

On Friday, July 22, 2011 12:02:01 AM Mack McBride wrote:

> I am not so certain where the 7600 leads unless they
> remerge the two Business Units. The ASR9K is much more
> scalable and the cost differential on the nicer blades
> is low. The 7600 is less 'bleeding edge' so 7600s will
> probably be deployed for some time.
>
> In theory the 6500 could continue for a long time.
> But I think the goal is to turn it into a services
> platform.

Strangely, I think that if all the features and updates the
SUP2T is bringing to the supervisor module family are
actually implemented to work as advertised, the 6500 could
be a much better router than the 7600.

The only problem would be if SX* ends up not having many of
the "routing" features SR* or 15.x will have on the 7600.
Also, not to mention that as of now, the SUP2T isn't
supported on the 7600, so switching from a 7600 to a 6500 is
a probably poor idea - 7600 to ASR9000 likely makes more
sense.

Mark.