[c-nsp] Number of route reflectors, best practice?

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sun Jul 24 04:17:25 EDT 2011

On Sunday, July 24, 2011 04:48:29 AM Gert Doering wrote:

> Using a M120 as *route reflector* sounds a bit...
> overkill... given that this box is fairly large, needs
> lots of power, and doesn't have *that* much CPU on the
> RE either.

I knew someone would notice that :-).

At the time, the smallest box that could support 4GB of RAM
from Juniper was the M120. Of course, things have advanced
and an MX240 could be cheaper than an M120 and support 64-
bit Junos which gives you 16GB of RAM today. But we deployed
before any of this was in the works.

The 2GHz Intel Pentium M CPU has been working fine with all
our AFI's and routes, so no major drama there.

I know some other houses doing this. It's not the most ideal
approach, but given our requirements, it was the only
realistic option.

> Or are you using the M120 to actually forward traffic?

Nope.

Mark.