[c-nsp] Number of route reflectors, best practice?

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sun Jul 24 10:47:46 EDT 2011

On Sunday, July 24, 2011 10:30:24 PM Gert Doering wrote:

> What's that?  Genuinely curious - haven't done anything
> with multicast in a while, and nothing with
> multicast+MPLS ever.

NG-MVPN (Next Generation Multicast VPN).

It's different from the commonly-known/used Draft Rosen MVPN
in that NG-MVPN is LSM-based (Label Switched Multicast).

In Rosen MVPN's, PIM and IP/GRE are used everywhere in the
network (including the core). NG-MVPN is different. It
utilizes MPLS in the core to replace IP/GRE, and uses BGP at
the edge to replace PIM (funky, right?).

The MCAST-VPN NLRI is used in NG-MVPN's to perform the exact
same task that PIM would. In NG-MVPN networks, there is no
PIM in the core, so BGP is used to transact the PIM control
plane between edge routers throughout the network, i.e.,
when a downstream user requests a channel change via IGMP,
that request is sent toward the source via BGP - a process
normally handled by PIM.

The forwarding plane is signaled by RSVP utilizing p2mp
LSP's (Cisco and some others are already adding support for
mLDP - Multicast LDP - supporting both p2mp and m2mp). Once
RSVP signals the p2mp LSP between the Sender PE router
(router connected toward the Multicast Source) and Receiver
PE router (router connected toward Multicast end-users),
MPLS forwards all Multicast packets and replicates them at
the network level using the p2mp construct. Cisco's newer
platforms take this a step further and actually replicate
p2mp-signaled traffic in the fabric as well.

Unfortunately, AFAIK, only Juniper support the NG-MVPN
infrastructure, even though many vendors today do support
p2mp RSVP LSP's. We've successfully inter-op'ed a Cisco IOS
XR core with a Juniper edge for NG-MVPN; but then again the
core only needs to be p2mp-aware, i.e., the core isn't VPN-
aware.

NG-MVPN gives us much more freedom in quickly deploying
Multicast networks because we already have MPLS running. So
we don't need to enable PIM or GRE in the core, nor do we
need special Juniper Tunnel PIC's for PIM (although I could
tell you unending horror stories about this, hehe).

But it does mean that for the foreseeable future, only
Juniper may support the VPN portion of LSM. I'm pushing our
Cisco account team to bring it to the ASR9000, and just like
Cisco folded and had to end up supporting BGP-based VPLS
signaling in the ASR9000 to compete with Juniper's MX line,
I don't doubt they'll provide full NG-MVPN support soon. I
also don't doubt that Juniper will support mLDP in the
future. This is yet another Cisco-Juniper battle of BGP vs.
LDP vs. IP vs. MPLS.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mark.