[c-nsp] EIGRP HSRP Successors

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Jul 25 04:02:58 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 04:06:03PM -0500, Dan Letkeman wrote:
> I'm working on a test configuration for hsrp between two switches
> where i'm running eigrp, and I'm wondering if its best practice to
> leave the added successors in the route list?

We usually run HSRP/VRRP on "customer-facing" interfaces, and consequently,
running EIGRP there is a complete no-go for us.  No benefit, and interesting
attack vectors...

So we run all interfaces with "passive-interface default", and selectively
enable EIGRP on backbone interfaces (which do not have HSRP/VRRP anyway).

For different topologies, of course YMMV.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de