[c-nsp] just installed a Huawei...

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Jul 26 02:14:44 EDT 2011

On (2011-07-25 21:51 -0700), Rogelio wrote:

Hi,

> Not sure if it's any interest of this group, but I just installed a
> Huawei CX600 router this last week.

I'm very interested, not much word in community for some reason about using
Huawei in L3

> The worst part about the Huawei is probably the documentation.  It's
> scattered all over the place, so if you want something simple (like
> telnet access), it's in a completely different PDF than if you want,
> say, VLAN configuration commands.  Finding it all is a huge scavenger
> hunt.

Most vendors have quite appalling documentation, enabling telnet on CX can be
adventure, but ssh is interesting too, considering there are no ssh keywords,
as it is 'secure telnet' :).

Anyhow of course for larger organization the CLI is mostly irrelevant as is the
overhead of finding out how to deploy given product in given platform, if it is
possible, the CLI-wide complexity is not a factor, as everything would/should
be done via automated provisioning systems.
For smaller organisations CSCO/JNPR with good community support and few
internal resources things are of course much different.

> But hey...for like a 1/4 of the price or whatever (so I've heard), I'd
> say it's worth it.  :b

It looks very good on paper.

--
  ++ytti