[c-nsp] iSCSI, port buffers, and small switches

Geert Nijs geert.nijs at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 16:47:03 EDT 2011

I have also played with the QOS buffers and repartitioning on C3750E
switches. It helped, but i couldn't get the drops to go away completely.
We do have 10GE uplinks with 1GE server ports, so might need buffering.
On tip i have is also the following: although the C3750E switch is a 'shared
bufffer switch', each ASIC does have memory on-board. Normally 4 GE ports
are using 1 ASIC.
(you can see the mapping with "sh platform pm port-asic" or something like
that).
If you really have a critical server, connect it to its own ASIC and don't
use the other three ports. Then the server has all the buffer space for
himself. Also , don't set the QOS buffer division
to small and let each queue burst up to maximum size (full asic memory).
This was not the default setting in some IOS versions, hence the problems.
If you set the default queue too small or don't let it burst up to full
memory, i have noticed drops early on , even starting from 3Mbps from
3000-4000 pkts/sec...

regards,
Geert