[c-nsp] iSCSI, port buffers, and small switches

John Gill johgill at cisco.com
Wed Jul 27 00:00:18 EDT 2011

Peter,
Not too long ago there were some QoS knobs which gave us the ability to
increase the shared pool to an even greater extent than the default "no
mls qos".  Queue-set thresholds used to be  configurable in the range of
1-100%, then 400%, and now up to 3200% of the reserved pool.  This
effectively makes the buffer more like a fully shared pool, instead of a
mix of reserved and shared.

So, I meant to say that the default vs just turning on "mls qos" without
any configuration, and while using only one class of traffic, will
result in less buffers available.

Chuck,
The decision on what switch to buy would depend on proper configuration
(some older configurations and questions to the archives may not have
been using the code sufficient to configure the queue-set in this
manner), what classes you need to support, and the traffic patterns you
expect to be able to deal with in terms of how much congestion/buffering
you want to be able to absorb.

If we are just talking pure buffer space, the 4948 will be best for a
scenario where fully shared buffering is preferable and you aren't
worried about starvation for individual interfaces out of the box.
Scale matters too; a test of 2 ports to 1 may perform well, but note a
test where 2 instances of this pattern (2 to 1 and a separate 2 to 1 is
also present) things start to look different.  If you have just one busy
destination, then it is fairly simple - just get as much buffer as you
can.  But speeding up your destination in that scenario would be money
wisely spent.

Regards,
John Gill
cisco