[c-nsp] iSCSI, port buffers, and small switches

John Gill johgill at cisco.com
Wed Jul 27 09:33:12 EDT 2011

Hi Nick,
I agree they cannot be compared easily, and the reason I thought of the
aside was to point out this kind of discrepancy, in case one were
tempted to just use simple comparison of buffer sizes.  Ingress vs.
egress buffering changes things significantly.

I hadn't considered your angle, let me think out loud:

If a 3750 were to have no congestion, then the buffers would be
routinely populated with one frame, or less, per active source interface
because it's store and forward.  If the n5k were to have no congestion,
we only store enough to forward the frame and pass QoS/ACL checks, so
yes it's less usage during no congestion.  As soon as either platform
sees congestion, we behave in a store-and-forward manner.

I think there is a difference in having that buffer potentially less
utilized, but it's going to be the space of a single frame at best in
the 3750 and always just enough to make fwding decisions in the N5k, so
it is true you will have more available buffer before congestion starts.
  However, once congestion starts, that stops being true, so I guess
there is an advantage to having that buffer available at the start of
the congestion.  Depending on your MTU, this can buy you potentially
around like 9k per interface - add on that the 3750 has some buffers
shared and some reserved compared to the N5k using dedicated buffers per
source, things look quite different in the datacenter than in the
whitepapers, indeed.

Regards,
John Gill
cisco