[c-nsp] changing buffer size on 4900M - discards

Tóth András diosbejgli at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 15:46:38 EDT 2011

Hi Holemans,

The Catalyst 4900M Series can be deployed for 10/100/1000 server
access with 1:1 uplink to downlink oversubscription, mix of
10/100/1000 and 10 GbE
servers or all 10GbE servers in the same rack. The output drops are
caused by the egress buffers filling before the interface is able to
forward the traffic which could be caused by bursty traffic, although
the average rate is lower than 2 Gbps.

I would recommend to investigate if there are short bursts coming from
the 10G link which can cause the drops.
Also, check if you have flow-control coming from the 2G channel, which
can also cause output drops. Try disabling ingress flow-control on the
2G channel members and see if that resolves the issue.

Additionally, if the above does not help, I would suggest to check the
Queue-limiting and Queue Memory sections in the QoS guide:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/54sg/configuration/guide/qos.html#wp1437305
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/54sg/configuration/guide/qos.html#wp1522202

Increase the queue limit gradually with the 'queue-limit'
configuration command under the policy-map class section. You might
try changing it straight to 512. If no policy-maps are configured yet,
create a new one and use queue-limit in class-default, then apply the
policy-map to the egress interface.

Best regards,
Andras