[c-nsp] BGP peer/customer routes

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Jun 1 00:50:09 EDT 2011

On Wednesday, June 01, 2011 06:31:42 AM Peter Rathlev wrote:

> I'm seeing this from a customer perspective: Why on earth
> should you not respect the more specific routes via the
> peering link?
>
> What if I have a primary connection from AS11 and buy a
> backup connection (much lower bandwidth) from you, but
> another of your customers is the new Youtube? If you
> insist on sending traffic from them down the backup pipe
> I bought from you it wouldn't work. I'd have to find
> another ISP to buy transit from, and sending it upstream
> is at least more expensive than towards a peer, right?

We see this all the time, and our general policy is not to
peer with customers. However, if our customer is buying
transit from a competitor that's peering with us at the
exchange point, we would generally pass that traffic over
since the alternative is not preferred (via our own tran$it
links).

It's a very hard problem to police, as customer routing
policies can be as dynamic as your own, if not more.

So as long as we're not peering with our customers, we can
bend a little. If there are things we can control/fix
scalably, we do that. Else, it's better than the
alternative, because if a customer doesn't want to announce
more specifics to you, they don't want to announce more
specifics to you.

Cheers,

Mark.