[c-nsp] Best practice for CAM and ARP aging timers

Lee ler762 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 08:01:46 EDT 2011

On 6/2/11, george at dalyshome.co.uk <george at dalyshome.co.uk> wrote:
>  I'm trying to establish consensus on best practice CAM and ARP aging
> timers for Cat6500 12.2(33)SXI5.
>  Various cisco docs state these should be synched to minimise unknown
> unicast flooding.  I'm looking into modifying them from the default
> values (ARP timer 14400 sec, MAC aging time 300 sec) to minimise
> excessive unknown unicast flooding which I'm seeing in the L2 network
> (~400 downstream 3560 switches with ~8000 downstream hosts) which
> aggregates at these 6500s.  This topology does not have asymmetric
> traffic flows - have others observed unicast flooding in topologies
> without asymmetric traffic flows but with mismatched ARP/CAM timers?

In addition to mismatched arp/cam timers you might also have to watch
out for topology change notifications [what does TCN stand for?] - ie.
portfast disabled on a port and the port goes up/dn.  That sets the
fast aging timer to 15 seconds.
We do have asymmetric traffic flows; I'm not sure if fast aging would
be a problem for you or not.

>  I don't see the same problem with excessive unknown unicast flooding
> in a similar network which aggregates at a pair of Nexus 7000.  Cisco
> modified the default values for ARP and MAC aging in NX-OS to 1500
> sec and 1800 sec respectively.  Downstream access switches are still
> using the IOS defaults, I've not seen a negative impact from the
> mismatched MAC timers but would be keen to hear if others have
> experienced issues with mismatched MAC timers between collapsed cores
> and access switches.

I like leaving the arp aging time at the default 4 hours and changing
the mac aging time to 6 hours.  That gives you a better chance of
finding a mac address & you only have to sweep the network 4 times a
day for the mac address / switch port info. (yes, you could do a ping
sweep of every vlan on the switch before grabbing the mac/switchport
info, but I suspect that causes it's own issues)

>  The quickest option I can see would be to reduce the ARP timer to
> 300sec as I would only need to touch the SVIs on the 6500s but I'm
> concerned that 300sec feels too low for an ARP timer in a relatively
> large L2 domain and could have CPU impact.

dunno, never tried that

>  Alternatively I could
> increase the MAC aging timer to 14400sec to synch with the ARP timer,
> or choose some new value altogether (perhaps the NX-OS defaults?).  If
> I did change the MAC aging timer is it strictly necessary to roll that
> configuration out throughout the L2 domain?

*strictly* necessary? no.  nice? yes

>  Is there any particular
> risk due to temporary CAM timer mismatch during the transition period
> while the configuration is being rolled out?

I can't imagine what risk there would be.

Regards,
Lee