[c-nsp] cat6500/fwsm performance

Jeff Bacon bacon at walleyesoftware.com
Thu Jun 2 22:57:23 EDT 2011

> I recall it being two 3Gbps etherchannels, so I'd always assumed no
> single flow could exceed 3Gbps.  The PoXXX interfaces don't have
> explicit gigabit members - any chance you know where to find some
> documentation showing the single-gigabit/flow limit?

from the 4.1 config doc, page 2-8:

The connection between the FWSM and the switch is a 6-GB 802.1Q trunking
EtherChannel. This
EtherChannel is automatically created when you install the FWSM. On the
FWSM side, two NPs
connect to three Gigabit Ethernet interfaces each, and these interfaces
comprise the EtherChannel. The
switch distributes traffic to the interfaces in the EtherChannel
according to a distribution algorithm based on session information; load
sharing is not performed on a per-packet basis, but rather on a flow
basis.