[c-nsp] FWSM Failover Issue

Antonio Soares amsoares at netcabo.pt
Fri Jun 3 07:02:33 EDT 2011

Hello group,

I'm troubleshooting a FSWM Failover issue. The scenario has the two FWSM in
different chassis in Active/Active mode.

One chassis went down and the FSWM in the other chassis didn't assume the
control of the two failover groups.

The only message that was possible to capture was:

"FO_LINK Vlan 1998 Failed – No switchover"

I'm not able to find out in which situations the Vlan could have failed.

According to the document bellow (Table 13-2 Failover Behavior for
Active/Active Failover), this could be seen as normal behavior:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/fwsm/fwsm32/configuration/guide/fai
l_f.html#wp1052847

1) Failover link failed during operation-> 2) No failover-> 3) Each unit
marks the failover interface as failed. You should restore the failover link
as soon as possible because the unit cannot fail over to the standby unit
while the failover link is down.

My question is how could that FO_LINK VLAN go down ? The FO and STATE VLANs
were present on the switch and nobody touched them.

The FWSM is running 3.2(7).

Thanks.

Regards,

Antonio Soares, CCIE #18473 (R&S/SP)