[c-nsp] IPv6 Prefix inbound filter

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Fri Jun 3 06:55:38 EDT 2011

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011, arulgobinath emmanuel wrote:

> what is the current  industry practices in IPv6 inbound prefix filter is it
> /32 or /48 ? or it depends on the global IPv6 prefix growth vs memory ?

As always, your experience may vary, but it seems like many operators are
starting to settle on /48 as the cutoff point.  This seems reasonable to
me, since some of the RIRs are also settling on /48 as the smallest
prefix they will allocate.  That said, there are some people who don't
filter (much), so it's not unusual to see smaller prefixes show up in the
global v6 view.

jms