[c-nsp] DWDM Optics use

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Sat Jun 4 14:47:38 EDT 2011

I'm struggling with a use for DWDM optics.  I understand the concept of
DWDM/CWDM and phase shifting to create more links over a single fiber.  Once
that is done the ASIC/FPGA bandwidth allocated to the port remains the same,
correct?  So if I create multiple 1G connections on a single port with these
magic sfp's am I still limited by the 1g/2g chip in the device.  Are all the
logical connections forced to be sub-rate?  I know the larger equipment
handles this differently, so I'm only concerned with the 3750/3560 size
boxes.

Thanks,