[c-nsp] Memory leak on in latest 12.0S on GSR? *Solved*

Mack McBride mack.mcbride at viawest.com
Mon Jun 6 12:48:18 EDT 2011

Good info +1

Mack

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net [mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Sascha Pollok
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2011 3:07 AM
To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Memory leak on in latest 12.0S on GSR? *Solved*

>> I did some digging and found, that "show mem dead" is awfully long. Feels
>> like millions of lines (could be ten thousands of lines, too). Most of them
>> refer to a process that I can not find anything about:
>>
>> 07406718 0000000040 074066C8 0740676C 001  -------- -------- 001FF434 acct
>> periodic timer
>>
>> "acct periodic timer" - doh! Anyone with an idea what that is?
>
> Here is the top output of "sh mem dead total":
>
>  Dead Proc Summary for: Processor
>
>      PC          Total  Name
>  0x001FF434    1078452  acct periodic timer
>  0x0078EF44        114  Virtual Exec
>  0x0078EED8        114  Virtual Exec
>  0x0078EEC0        114  Virtual Exec
>  0x006D0AD8         79  TCP CB
>
> Looks like "acct periodic timer" is indeed forgetting to tidy up it's
> room lots of times. Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thank
> Sascha

For the records:

the reason for my memory leak problem on latest 12.0(33)S was the
following configuration statement (for whatever reason it was there):

   aaa accounting update periodic 5

Removed this statement and reload once (to make the Check Heaps process
run quickly again) and everythings fine.

-Sascha