[c-nsp] ASA failover - possible with a /30 ?

David White, Jr. (dwhitejr) dwhitejr at cisco.com
Tue Jun 7 09:22:58 EDT 2011

Hi Jeff,

The Standby IP is used to monitor both interfaces (the interface on the
Active and the one on the Standby).  Failover will work without a
standby IP, but the ASA will not be able to detect failure conditions on
that interface, unless the failure condition results in a link down. If
a link down condition occurs, then no testing is needed and this
information is sent over the failover control link.

A better solution is to make the interface a trunk link.  Add 2 VLANs
(one for the customer, and one 'dummy' VLAN).  Enable failover interface
monitoring on the dummy VLAN, and this can be used to both validate the
interface and the path.  On the customer's VLAN, you don't assign a
standby IP and disable interface monitoring.

Hope it helps,

David.