[c-nsp] Counting IPv6 on 6500

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jun 8 03:18:56 EDT 2011

All,

As has been discussed elsewhere, the 6500/7600 platforms lie about IPv6
packet/byte counters due to ASIC limitations (BTW I am told that this is
fixed in sup2T/PFC4/Earl8)

I think this alternative approach works for a limited set of cases:

class-map match-all QOS-ALL-IPV6
   match protocol ipv6
class-map match-all QOS-ALL-IPV4
   match protocol ip

policy-map QOS-COUNT-IPV6
   class QOS-ALL-IPV4
    set dscp default
   class QOS-ALL-IPV6
    set dscp default

int VlanA
   service-policy input QOS-COUNT-IPV6
   service-policy output QOS-COUNT-IPV6
int GiX/Y
   switchport access vlan A
   mls qos vlan based

mls qos statistics-export interval 30
mls qos statistics-export class-map QOS-ALL-IPV6
mls qos statistics-export class-map QOS-ALL-IPV4
mls qos statistics-export destination <some syslog params>
mls qos statistics-export

You can then parse the logs to get per-module counters for a given
class-map. This might be of use if you only have one or a few interfaces
to count, and have no existing, conflicting QoS needs.

Hope it's of use to someone.

Cheers,
Phil