[c-nsp] Wireless 802.1x authentication failures

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Jun 14 03:35:43 EDT 2011

On 06/14/2011 07:13 AM, Edward Iong wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> We are using windows certificates for authenticate domain computers to connect wireless network.
>
> In previous, it is working. Everyone can access wireless network. But now no one can get access, we found in the MS ISA event Log, it has a warning message as below

This question is not really appropriate for this list, but see below

> Event Type: Warning
> Event Source: IAS
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 2
> Date:  6/14/2011
> Time:  1:16:37 PM
> User:  N/A
> Computer: EDC-HKNT135
> User host/BDNB00011.bd.ABC.com was denied access.
>   Fully-Qualified-User-Name = ABC\BDNB00011$
>   NAS-IP-Address = 10.XXX.XXX.51
>   NAS-Identifier = BDWLC1
>   Called-Station-Identifier =      :xxx
>   Calling-Station-Identifier =
>   Client-Friendly-Name = BDWLC1
>   Client-IP-Address = 10.XXX.XXX.51
>   NAS-Port-Type = Wireless - IEEE 802.11
>   NAS-Port = 1
>   Proxy-Policy-Name = Use Windows authentication for all users
>   Authentication-Provider = Windows
>   Authentication-Server =<undetermined>
>   Policy-Name =<undetermined>
>   Authentication-Type = EAP
>   EAP-Type =<undetermined>
>   Reason-Code = 48
>   Reason = The connection attempt did not match any remote access policy.

The error message above seems clear. You need to write a remote access
policy that will match the request. How you do this depends on exactly
which version of Microsoft IAS/NPS/whatever they're calling it these days.

If it worked previously, then either:

  a. someone has deleted the working remote access policies, or
  b. something has changed about your requests so the policies no longer
match