[c-nsp] VMware ESX LACP Support

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Mon Jun 20 17:14:28 EDT 2011

On 20/06/2011 21:38, Manu Chao wrote:
> I would like to design VSS LACP based MECs with ESX hosts.
>
> Does VMware ESX support LACP?

No.  It supports 802.3ad static link aggregation, but not dynamic
etherchannels using LACP.

> Do we need Nexus 1000 for ESX LACP support?

Are you mixing up ling aggregation with LACP?  The two are different: LACP
is a protocol to dynamically control link aggregation, but it's not
necessary for running it.  If you need LACP, then the N1k supports it.

To configure link aggregation without LACP on your ESX box, in the ethernet
NIC Teaming configuration screen, change the "Load Balancing" option to be
"Route based on ip hash".

Nick