[c-nsp] SNMP Trap for VRF BGP State Changes

Nidheesh nidheeshkk at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 06:12:43 EDT 2011

Hi Friends,

I have been a reader of the NSP for quite long time and now I am in a
situation where I need your help to solve a SNMP issue with VRF Lite.

We have VRF Lite configured on one of the ASR1002 and integrated with BGP.
And we got different vrfs like prod_vrf, videocon_vrf and etc...

The MPLS provider for us is BT and they are terminating to one of the switch
in the environment and from where we have the direct connectivity to the ASR
where BGP and VRF is configured.

The problem I am facing is whenever tthere is an issue happenes in the
provider (BT) network and our BGP neighborship breaks for that particular
VRF even though the physical link is up. I am looking to set up an SNMP trap
to be send to the NNM whenever the vrf bgp state changes and I have
configured the below SNMP command on the ASR.

snmp-server enable traps vrfmib vrf-up vrf-down vnet-trunk-up
vnet-trunk-down
snmp-server enable traps bgp

But when the VRF state changes for any of the VRF I am not getting any traps
on the NNM or HPOV even though I am seeing the VRF BGP state change logs on
the ASR like below.

Jun 22 11:02:23: %BGP-5-ADJCHANGE: neighbor x.x.x.x vpn vrf prod_vrf Down
Jun 22 11:02:24: %BGP-5-ADJCHANGE: neighbor x.x.x.x vpn vrf prod_vrf Up

Can you please help here.

Cheers,
Nidhi