[c-nsp] Spanning-tree boundaries and configuration

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Fri Jun 24 03:21:38 EDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 09:10 +0300, techtalm at gmail.com wrote:
> For service provider network how does the spanning-tree boundaries
> should be configured? And with which options?
>
> Should I participate the customer STP in my topology for preventing
> loops and broadcast storms or ignoring his BPDU's totally?

Are you delivering switched L2 services? I'm no service provides, but if
I were I would try as hard as I could to only deliver PtP L2 to
customers, using e.g. EoMPLS pseudowires. It's transparent to BPDUs, so
they just take care of loop prevention themselves.

For non-redundant links, you could disable STP on the port with
"spanning-tree bpdufilter enable". Beware that if a loop suddenly
appears you will have some nasty problems.

Otherwise there's AFAICT no way around joining the STP domain of your
customers. In that case you should of course try to make sure that L2
problems coming in from one customer doesn't affect other customers.

> Lately we have some STP problems due to mismatch configs or
> interoperability with customer's switches and I wonder how others are
> dealing with that.

Can you be more specific? The exact problem might be countered.

--
Peter