[c-nsp] how to block youtube using CLI commands

Christopher J. Wargaski wargo1 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 13:41:29 EDT 2011

Ahmed--

   Since you are asking how to block destination traffic on a router, I will
presume that this router is your organization's edge router.

   I am not aware of any feature that allows you to block traffic by a FQDN
on a router, so there is no excellent solution for you. Configure your
workstation with a static IP address or a DHCP reservation so it always has
the same IP address. Then create an ACL on the inside interface of the
router allowing you to access the IP addresses for Youtube, but blocking
access for others.

   It is not elegant but it will work for a while. As soon as Youtube adds
another IP address to their DNS records, you will have to add that to the
ACL.

cjw