[c-nsp] L3 Switch as a BGP Gateway

Jason Greenberg Jason.Greenberg at autodata.net
Mon Jun 27 14:59:00 EDT 2011

Can someone advise me as to why a 3750 L3 Switch (Metro Model) wouldn't outperform a 7300 series router as a multi-homed BGP gateway?  ISRs and Enterprise class routers are still quite a bit more expensive than the L3 Switches, but I'm starting to not understand why.   I understand that L3 switches are less feature rich on the routing end, but suppose that our ASAs are doing most of the complicated filtering.    I know it doesn't sound "right" to have a 3750G used in this manner, but I am having a hard time finding any real reason why not to do it.

Thanks,

Jay

This message has originated from Autodata Solutions. The attached material is the Confidential and Proprietary Information of Autodata Solutions. This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please delete this message and notify the Autodata system administrator at Administrator at autodata.net