[c-nsp] L3 Switch as a BGP Gateway

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Mon Jun 27 15:11:23 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 14:59 -0400, Jason Greenberg wrote:
> Can someone advise me as to why a 3750 L3 Switch (Metro Model)
> wouldn't outperform a 7300 series router as a multi-homed BGP gateway?

Number of prefixes. A 3750 can take at most up to ~11K routes; more than
that makes it fall back to software switching, which means performance
is much worse that e.g. a 7300.

The lack of processing power on a 3750 might also make filtering and
whatever else you'd like to use on your BGP sessions a lot slower.

If you can accept these two caveats the 3750 indeed does outperform any
software based switch hands down.

--
Peter