[c-nsp] RSPAN question...

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Tue Mar 1 09:36:25 EST 2011

Can you pass an RSPAN vlan through a "vanilla" switch that isn't RSPAN aware?

I know the "source" and "destination" switches for an RSPAN session must obviously be
RSPAN-aware, but can you pass the RSPAN vlan through a non-participating switch?

I have a remote that is connected through an old 3508XL fiber aggregation point, the
remote end and the core both support RSPAN, but to monitor anything at the remote site I
need to pass the RSPAN vlan through the 3508XL (which doesn't support RSPAN).

Is this possible?

Jeff