[c-nsp] micro bursts

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Sun Mar 6 14:05:29 EST 2011

I know you can set the polling interval in cacti that short.  I'm not sure
if it's a good thing for your switches or for your management station
though.  As far as tracking micro bursts, it depends on what you mean by
"microburst".  Most monitoring software only shows data over a 5 minute
average.  This is also the default for the interface counters on the switch
itself.  It is also tough to watch the output discards counters if the burst
isn't large enough to cause them.  I've seen people resort to using perfmon
or other software on the systems themselves to find problems.  What kind of
traffic are you looking at?