[c-nsp] 3560 vs 4948 shared buffer memory

Dan Letkeman danletkeman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 23:06:32 EST 2011

Hello,

I've noticed a fair amount of output drops from traffic bursts on our
3560G's.  This is happening with or without QOS on.

So I have been looking a replacing these switches for this reason and
others.  From what I understand there is a problem with the shared
memory buffer space, when there are traffic bursts/micro bursts.
Would a 4948 be a big improvement when it comes to output drops vs a
3560?

Has anyone else replaced there 3560/3750 with a 4948 and seen the
output drops go away?

I see the 4948E's have much more shared buffer memory, but those are
out of our price range.

Thanks,
Dan.