[c-nsp] sup2 VRRP/HSRP limits

Sascha Pollok nsp-list at pollok.net
Tue Mar 8 01:33:08 EST 2011

Hello Andrew,

> What is the maximum number of VRRP groups which can be configured on a
> 6500/sup2? I've found that the limit for HSRP seems to be 256. Do these
> limits increase on the SUP720-3BXL?
>
> I'm trying to use a pair of 6500s as the default gateway for a couple of
> thousand VLANs, and am looking at options for redundancy.

I can't remember the exact limit for VRRP or HSRP (keep in mind
you can only use one of those on a 6500 at a time - no mixing).
However, just use the same group number on all of the SVIs
and you'll be fine. You can also mix group numbers of course.
Most important information is that you can reuse them across SVIs
without any hassle (that I know of).

-Sascha