[c-nsp] sup2 VRRP/HSRP limits

Andrew Jones aj at jonesy.com.au
Tue Mar 8 01:55:25 EST 2011

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 01:49:17 -0500, Chris Cook <crcook at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 8, 2011, at 1:33 AM, Sascha Pollok wrote:
>> I can't remember the exact limit for VRRP or HSRP (keep in mind
>> you can only use one of those on a 6500 at a time - no mixing).
>> However, just use the same group number on all of the SVIs
>> and you'll be fine. You can also mix group numbers of course.
>> Most important information is that you can reuse them across SVIs
>> without any hassle (that I know of).
>
> This isn't true; I have production devices that have VRRP and HSRP
running
> at the same time (different interfaces of course).  Reusing VRRP/HSRP
group
> numbers has not been a problem for us; HSRPv2 of course allows you to
have
> a group number per SVI if you wish.

Thanks guys, that's really helpful. Do you have any information on how
many subinterfaces the 6500/SUP2 will support? I found another thread on
this mailing list where someone was saying that you can't re-use VLAN IDs,
even when using subints.

Eg. If I have Gi2/1.300 with encapsulation dot1Q 300, I can't have Gi2/2
with encapsulation dot1Q 300. Is that right?

Thanks,
Andrew