[c-nsp] Multicast VPN Extranet Routing in IOS XR

John Neiberger jneiberger at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 18:34:31 EST 2011

I'm *really* new to this and I honestly do not know what I'm doing. My
goal is to have two (or more) VRFs on a single router that don't
necessarily communicate from a unicast perspective, but I do want to
have a bunch of multicast sources in one VRF and receivers in other
VRFs. It appears that Multicast VPN Extranet Routing is the feature
I'm looking for. According to CCO:

"Multicast VPN (MVPN) extranet routing lets service providers
distribute IP multicast content from one enterprise site to another
across a multicast VRF. In other words, this feature provides
capability to seamlessly hop VRF boundaries to distribute multicast
content end to end."

Has anyone here configured this before? I think my config is going to
be pretty simple. I only need BGP on a single router. There will not
be any BGP peers. I just need BGP to handle routing between the VRFs
on one router. Then, on that same router, I need incoming joins to be
able to hop the VRF boundary and reach the sources.

Have any of you actually done this before?

Thanks,
John