[c-nsp] Prevent DDoS

Paul Wozney paul at wozney.ca
Mon Mar 14 13:28:14 EDT 2011

> All you can do for this type of attack is react and mitigate it with
> filtering by your internet provider(s).
>
> I recently did a little write-up on one method for this, BGP triggered real
> time blackhole routing.
>
> http://jonsblog.lewis.org/2011/02/05#blackhole

Agreed, setting up BGP blackhole routing with your provider can at least
ensure that the bandwidth soaked up with a DDoS is not sent down to your CPE
hardware.  This means that if you're paying per-GB then you're not wasting
money on DDoS bandwidth.

The basic premise behind BGP blackhole routing is that the target IP gets
blackhole routed at the provider.  It doesn't prevent the DDoS at all so the
target system is still offline - it is more of a risk-mitigation strategy to
keep the rest of your network alive during an attack.

Keep in mind that some providers have a limitation on the number of
advertised routes; I have a customer who loves this system and he blackholed
too many /32s (I think his limit was 40 advertised routes) and it triggered
an automated response at the provider...which disabled the BGP instance
facing the customer.  Just ensure you know the parameters you're working
with.

---
Paul Wozney
Network Consultant