[c-nsp] ME6524 dying

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Tue Mar 15 10:38:58 EDT 2011

Hi,

we have a ME6524-GT series in a remote location that keeps dying on us
every couple of weeks. Symptoms are:

* All routing protocols and LLDP time out on our side
* Physically the box looks fine, Status LED and even the link LEDs are
  still green
  - I cannot really say something about the physical link status, since
    the link in question does not forward link-state to our side
* Console is dead, no reaction at all
  - we do not have any OOB equipment on location yet, so I cannot tell
    whether it emitted a dying gasp
* CPU, Memory, all look normal up to five minutes before the crash
* remote syslog is enabled, nothing visible in it
* no crashdump on any file system
* looks fine after power cycle, no warnings anywhere

The box is not doing much at all, OSPFv2/v3, MPLS LDP and BGP towards
our core and one partial transit, maybe 4000 prefixes, 200 Mbps of
traffic.

Up to now we have been running 12.2(33)SXI5 Adv.IP non-modular, I have
now downgraded to SXI4.

This is my first Cisco ever that isn't even accessible on the console
anymore when it crashes. Has anyone seen something similar?

Best Regards,
Bernhard