[c-nsp] Small network Route Reflectors?

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Tue Mar 15 11:07:36 EDT 2011

We're thinking about introducing dedicated Route Reflectors in our
small-ish MPLS VPN network. We currently have ~35 PE devices, all
6500/Sup720. There are no dedicated P devices.

A couple of the PEs are RRs currently, but given the slow RP on a Sup720
we'd like dedicated RRs instead; and there are many other good reasons
for that of course.

We're talking ~10k MP-BGP routes now (plus about ~100 IGP routes
(IS-IS)) with per-PE RDs.

The ISR 2901 seems fit for the job. Any comments on that? Are there
other devices better suited, assuming we intend to buy something brand
new?

According to FN the ISR 2901 IP Base image doesn't support MPLS, but
otherwise supports all we need, i.e. IS-IS and MP-BGP. MPLS forwarding
isn't a problem since the RR isn't supposed to forward traffic. Any good
reasons to choose something other than IP Base?

Thanks.

--
Peter