[c-nsp] Small network Route Reflectors?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Mar 15 11:51:41 EDT 2011

On 15/03/11 15:07, Peter Rathlev wrote:
> We're thinking about introducing dedicated Route Reflectors in our
> small-ish MPLS VPN network. We currently have ~35 PE devices, all
> 6500/Sup720. There are no dedicated P devices.
>
> A couple of the PEs are RRs currently, but given the slow RP on a Sup720
> we'd like dedicated RRs instead; and there are many other good reasons
> for that of course.
>
> We're talking ~10k MP-BGP routes now (plus about ~100 IGP routes
> (IS-IS)) with per-PE RDs.
>
> The ISR 2901 seems fit for the job. Any comments on that? Are there
> other devices better suited, assuming we intend to buy something brand
> new?

I looked into this a while back; the 29xx with DATA license seemed
ideal, but it's a shame they're single PSU.

Someone else suggested a 7201 which is a bit gruntier and has dual PSUs,
but is a whole lot more expensive.

I think I looked at 2921 on the basis it has SFP ports, making it easier
to dual-attach the RR to both local and remote PEs. Then I got
sidetracked and haven't looked into it since.

(One reason I was looking into it was to get a newer IOS that supports
BGP selective address tracking, to yank iBGP sessions if the OSPF
loopback route goes away)