[c-nsp] What is the lowest latency switch?

Jeroen van Ingen jeroen at zijndomein.nl
Wed Mar 16 13:25:21 EDT 2011

Hi,
> What about "H3C" "3com" S5820X ?
>
> May be renamed or renumbered to hp procurve,
> but spec says:
>
> "...
>   Additionally, in order to reduce
>   latency in the network core or data center environment, the
>   S5820X features cut-through switching as well as store and
>   forward mode switching.
>   Forwarding Latency<1.9 µsec (FIFO 64-byte packets)
> "
>
> For a<  200W (under full load) device
> (compared to the 1100W of my 4900M's )
> this sounds good for Layer2 device.
>
> Any experience with that box ?

Well, I have three of those on my desk right now, but to be honest I
haven't had much time to test them. I'm trying them out for basic L2
switching, a bit of routing and a small amount of EoMPLS.

Specs & docs look good, pricing seems OK, but as "experience" with the
box goes I've only configured an address on them and performed a
software upgrade.

If you have specific questions, don't hesitate to ask, perhaps I can get
the answers quickly.

Regards,
Jeroen