[c-nsp] Large scale "central services" VRF, best practice?

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Fri Mar 18 10:07:11 EDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-03-18 at 09:59 -0400, Jeff Kell wrote:
> I am doing this by (all VRFs import/export themselves) importing the
> customer VRFs into the services VRF, and each customer VRF imports the
> services VRF.

Yeah, that's a solution too (the same as "schilling" suggested AFAICT),
but of course means that deploying a new VRF means configuring the CS
VRF also.

The configuration needed for a new VRF in each suggestion seems to be
something like:

 OP sugg. 1: Configure new VRF as usual, configure something extra on
             the CS VRF.

 OP sugg. 2: Configure new VRF as usual and add import/export from CS.
             No configuration on CS VRF.

 OP sugg. 3: Configure new VRF as usual, configure extra on both new VRF
             and CS VRF using route-maps.

 Your sugg.: Configure new VRF as usual, configure extra on both new VRF
             and CS VRF using import statements.

I'm (still) leaning towards suggestion 2 since this means I only
configure the new VRF, not touching the CS VRF and thus minimising the
risk of introducing errors.

--
Peter