[c-nsp] Large scale "central services" VRF, best practice?

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Fri Mar 18 13:06:28 EDT 2011

Kind souls pointed me off-list to two quite relevant things:

 a) I made a typo in the original example 2; VRF Central_Services in
    scenario 2 would of course import/export RT 1:3, not 1:1 as I wrote.

 b) Import/export to/from RT 1:3 from all VRFs would effectively join
    all VRFs, which was not what I meant to. So every regular VRF needs
    to export to something the CS VRF imports from and the CS VRF needs
    to import from something every regular VRF exports to, the two
    being different RTs.

So I'd end up doing something like this:

 ip vrf A
  route-target both 1:1
  route-target export 2:1
  route-target import 2:2
 !
 ip vrf B
  route-target both 1:2
  route-target export 2:1
  route-target import 2:2
 !
 ip vrf CS
  route-target both 1:3
  route-target import 2:1
  route-target export 2:2
 !

Thank you Saku and Schilling for the pointers.

--
Peter