[c-nsp] N5K with Generic Copper sfp

Thomason, Simon Simon.Thomason at racq.com.au
Mon Mar 21 19:22:24 EDT 2011

Hey All,

Was just wondering if anyone has had much luck using generic copper sfp in a nexus 5020? I have run into an issue with a generic SFP will not bring the port up on my 5k but a Cisco one work first time.

I do know that Cisco will say to use a Cisco sfp but there is a rather big price difference between generic and cisco :(

----log---
EMP31D12NEXUS# sh interface ethernet 1/16 transceiver
Ethernet1/16
    sfp is present
    name is OEM
    type is 10Gbase-(unknown)
    part number is GLC-T-CRB
    revision is A1
    serial number is TT1209160022
    nominal bitrate is 1200 MBits/sec
    Link length supported for copper is 100 m(s)
    cisco id is --
    cisco extended id number is 4
!
Eth1/16        TBA - 10.53.109.x/ down     314       full    1000    1/10g

EMP31D12NEXUS# sh interface ethernet 1/16 transceiver
Ethernet1/16
    sfp is present
    name is CISCO-AVAGO
    type is 10Gbase-(unknown)
    part number is ABCU-5710RZ-CS4
    revision is
    serial number is AGM1327260K
    nominal bitrate is 1300 MBits/sec
    Link length supported for copper is 100 m(s)
    cisco id is --
    cisco extended id number is 4
!
Eth1/16        TBA - 10.53.109.x/ up       314       full    1000    1/10g
----log---

---config---
interface Ethernet1/16
  description TBA - 10.53.109.x/24
  switchport access vlan 314
  speed 1000
  storm-control broadcast level 0.50
  udld aggressive
  channel-group 18 mode active
---config---

$50 off vehicle inspections
 An RACQ vehicle inspection is great for new car buyers, or to check for any faults before your warranty expires. Members get $50 off the retail price. For more info visit http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars/car_advice/vehicle_inspections

Please Note: If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this email as its use is prohibited.  RACQ does not warrant or represent that this email is free from viruses or defects.  If you do not wish to receive any further commercial electronic messages from RACQ please e-mail unsubscribe at racq.com.au or contact RACQ on 13 19 05.