[c-nsp] Understanding 10G line card oversubscription

Mack McBride mack.mcbride at viawest.com
Mon Mar 21 19:33:15 EDT 2011

I have to agree with feature mix/performance/cost in a single platform.
The 6500 is still quite good if you don't have high throughput requirements (<80G).
The newer Cisco platforms don't do full routing and switching well.
The Nexus 7K is working on the routing side of things but lacks features (MPLS).
The ASR 9K does some switching but lacks the familiar R-PVST+ (not that I don't like MST but there is a learning curve).

Your mileage with other vendors may vary.

Mack