[c-nsp] Understanding 10G line card oversubscription

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Mar 22 04:25:08 EDT 2011

On 03/22/2011 01:03 AM, Tony Varriale wrote:

>> The Nexus 7K is working on the routing side of things but lacks
>> features (MPLS).

> I suspect that's coming very shortly. Which MPLS features are important
> to you?

I've heard "very shortly" from Cisco before. Frankly, they've got no
belief credits with me. Unless and until I see it, it's vapour.

As for features - full parity with the feature set on 6500, so:

L3VPN including 6vPE
EoMPLS
FRR
Autotunnel

And although this isn't on 6500, on a newer platform I expect VPLS for
good measure.

Now, the chipset inside the N7k may be capable of a bunch of wondrous
things, but without the software it's just so much expensive fused sand.
I find it *extraordinarily* hard to believe they'll reach MPLS feature
parity with the (current) 6500 in any timescale less than 2 years.

Which is a shame, because a lot of the Nexus features look great; NX-OS
certainly seems to have a better, newer structure and both the control
and forwarding plane are a lot faster on the N7k.

I would love to be proven wrong. Maybe NX-OS is built in such a way as
to permit speedy feature development. But unless and until it's
shipping, and the bugs are ironed out...